Thursday, July 30, 2009

Push Your Rock

I remember hearing of a story which I think would qualify as a modern day parable (an earthly story with a heavenly meaning). It goes like this….

One day God took one of His servants, named Servant, to a high mountain and said to Servant, “See this huge rock?”

Servant said, “Yes!”

God said, “I want you to push it until I return. Will you do that?”

“Yes, I will,” replied Servant. So he undertook the task.

Years and years went by and the servant did not see God. But, because he had promised, he continued to push the huge rock.

After many more years of pushing, Servant became discouraged. He began to think, “I don’t see any reason why I should push this huge rock. It makes no sense and I see no reason for doing it. This is worthless.”

Soon after that, God appeared before Him and said, “Are you faithfully pushing my rock?”

Servant said, “Yes! But this makes no sense to me. I’ve been pushing this huge rock for years and it hasn’t moved an inch. I just want to give up.”

Then God said, “I never told you to move the rock. I only wanted you to push it. Step back and look at yourself.”

Servant stepped back and looked at himself. What he found was not the small, weak, skinny servant who began pushing the rock. He saw a big, strong muscular servant who was fit for any task God may have for him.

Servant, don’t stop pushing your rock. Life is full of them, and God often sends us to push them. Don’t pick your own. Let God show you your rock. Then faithfully push it, and wait in faithfulness. He will explain eventually. But the goal isn't simply obedience. It is oneness with the Lord that leads to complete obedience. Oneness with Him, without anything interfering, is the only good thing. Then He can say, "Come, follow me."

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6, HCSB)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I shared this with my friend who ministers to the little guys with me. I know she'll be encouraged by it, just as I was! Thank you so much for sharing all of these. I'm loving them!

Love you!
Amy