Saturday, August 29, 2009

When We Need Help

We have all come to times of deep distress when there seems no way out. What do we do? Where do we turn? Who can help us when life and its circumstances seem so hopeless?

Our tendency is to cover up the pain. We have many "tricks up our sleeves" as we try to do so. They never do the job. They will only postpone and make worse the pain. They all lead us to denial of the problem.

Jeremiah delivers to us God's invitation: "'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'" (Jeremiah 33:3) The Psalmist said, "As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me." (Psalm 55:16) God has preserved His Word and provided for us the stories of His faithfulness in the midst of the life struggles of many in this world. His works among His people, even though we are separated by time, remain timely to our need today.

As for me, I will also call upon God, in the name of Jesus. I have set my mind and heart to do so. Why in His name? It is because He alone has made a way for us to God. No amount of effort on our part, through works, good intention, or anything else, can win the ear of God. We can come only in Jesus name. We are all in need of His grace in the midst of our struggles and need.

Spurgeon said, "Yes, I must and will pray. What else can I do! What better can I do? Betrayed, forsaken, grieved, baffled, O my Lord, I will call upon Thee." (From Faith's Checkbook, by C. H. Spurgeon, Friday, August 28) Even the churches "giants" struggled and knew the value of the help of God.

Jesus said, "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (John 14:13-14, NIV) But our hearts must be right, and they can be... right now, through the grace of God. Then what we ask will be to "bring glory to the Father." Our rightness with God is not based on our personal goodness, but our pursuit of God through Jesus Christ, even in the midst of our stumbling. Paul speaks of the war that goes on in his mind. He says, "What a wretched man I am. Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:24-25, NIV) When we need help, only Jesus Christ our Lord can meet the challenge.

If prayer doesn't work, we must look for the reason. There must be a right motive. James said, "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." (James 4:3) There is often our problem. A right motive is when our intent is for the glory of God. When it is for His glory, it is always for our good. Then we will experience the joys of heaven. And that is the life we truly desire.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: