Friday, October 23, 2009

Prayers Not Working? Try This.

I'm not an advocate of quick-fix, magic formula approaches to prayer. There is not a "secret word" that makes lifeless prayer suddenly become powerful prayers. But there is guidance in God's Word that leads us to the God who hears, and answers those who come to Him as He instructs. (Jer. 33:3) But to often, we carelessly, blindly and sometimes "lazily" approach prayer with the same "self-centeredness" that makes us pray with the wrong motive. (James 4:1-3) That attitude also keeps us from doing the "prayer-work" needed to experience the results God desires for us.

For me, prayer-life is a journey. It includes facing the challenge of selfishness, that seeks to invade my prayers, that need to be replaced with a Spirit-given desire to glorify God. For any of us, that takes constant care. I am learning that when we are consistent in seeking God's guidance, He is consistent in guiding us through the steps we need to follow.

I recently came across an article, by Armin R. Gesswein,* that presents a simple but great challenge. The author spoke of his encounter with an old saint who had a history of a powerful prayer-life. He prayed with him, and witnessing his wonderful connection with God, he asked, "Uncle Am, what is it? ...You have some kind of secret in praying... Would you share that with me?"

The author said, "I was 24, he was 73 (he lived to be 93) and, with an eagle-look in his eyes he said: 'Young man, learn to plead the promises of God!'"

Do you desire God enough to do the work... the work of seeking out His promises to us regarding the needs of your burden? If your prayers are not working, try this... find and learn the promises of God. Learn to plead the promises of God. Pray them to Him. After all, "Faith comes from hearing the message... the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17) This has a more literal to us than we have imagined. The Psalmist said, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." (Psalm 119:105) The literal Word makes the difference.

For example, you can pray to God for revival like this: "Lord, you have promised that if I call to you, you will hear and answer me. You said, 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' (Jer. 33:3) I trust your promises and accept that you will. You said, 'You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.' (John 14:14) Father, in Jesus' name means according to His will. Lord, that is what I am seeking to do now. I seek His will through your Word. I know it is your will that your people be revived in your Spirit. Habakkuk prayed, 'O Lord, revive Your work in the midst of the years!' (Hab. 3:2, NKJV) Lord, that is my prayer to you." You can pray any need in this way.

Do your prayers work? Do you really want them to? If you truly do, you will be willing to search the scripture for faith and guidance. It is full of God's promises, and God's answers. We must learn to make the Bible our prayer book. Find the promise that fits your need. Prayer for God's glory. Learn to plead the promises of God.

* www.leaderu.com/orgs/bpf/pathways/plead.html

No comments: