Thursday, October 15, 2009

He Already Knew

When, in my daily routine, I find myself coming across the same passage of scripture, or the same thought again and again, I must pause and consider that God is trying to say something to me. It happens often, but if I fail to acknowledge it, or fail to stop and listen, it does me no good. I fail to benefit from the Lord's teaching.

Lately I have been dealing with many major struggles in my life. I have brought them to the Lord, honestly seeking His response... and I've waited. Waiting can be a noble thing, being part of God's way in speaking with us. But if we fail to pay attention to Him, waiting becomes fruitless.

As I wait on God, I tend to think about the problem. I wonder what to do. I spend time thinking about ways to deal with the issue. I ask myself questions. I consider the possibilities. I take other people into consideration. I compare it with similar problems and how I've dealt with them in the past. But still, I want God's will, and God's help. I want a miracle-- besides, I want His direct intervention and that's what we call anything that the Lord does first-hand. But having patience and faith for that miracle is another thing altogether.

The passage of scripture that continues to "pop up" before me is found in John 6. And it is a small, obscure phrase, in the midst of a very familiar event, that continues to "cry out" to me. The little phrase "for He already had in mind what He was going to do" can be lost in the "bigness" of the rest of the story. (John 6:1-15) But it is significant. It speaks volumes to us in our own situations today. It is filled with "riches" that can be ours if we will only take them. Even before we become aware of our problems, Jesus has in mind what He is going to do.

I like Philip. He was a very active disciple, but he was quiet. As presented in scripture, he seldom had anything to say. In this situation Jesus calls to him and does, what one might say, a very "uncharacteristic" thing. He asks Philip for advice. Have you ever heard Jesus ask for advice? Of course not! But it appears that He does here. For those who are familiar with Jesus, however, we quickly realize that the question was for Philips benefit, and that of other disciples. He wanted Philip to consider the problem, realize the impossibility, and then witness the Source of the answer. Jesus waited just long enough to teach an eternal truth.

Can you imagine that day? Things that seemed so trivial became so eternal. Only a little boy... only five loaves of bread... only two fish... only a passing phrase. But the little "obscure phrase" was significant to the disciples. It was so significant that it was passed down verbally until it was recorded in this Gospel decades later, and preserved for you and me today. Nothing is insignificant to God's Word. Everything deserves our deep consideration.

In my life, as in yours, our present "training" is intended to equip us for the next larger struggle, and greater service for Him. If we fail to pass the test, we very well may have to step aside and go no further. Don't fail the test. Keep your eyes on Jesus. Keep listening. Keep learning. Keep growing. Expect the unexpected in your struggle. Prepare now... the biggest test is yet to come. But, He already has in mind what He is going to do.

No comments: