Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's God's Job!

I would like to announce that am taking God at His Word. Speaking of Jesus, Matthew tells us, "Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.'" (Mt. 9:37-38, NIV)

Prior to the verses above, the Bible sets the stage for Jesus' words. It says, "Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." (Mt. 9:35-36, NIV)

I to, have looked at the crowds. I have seen the hurting and the needy. Only a few days ago I held the hand and touched the shoulder of one so overwhelmed with grief words could not be spoken. Only flowing tears and a quivering lip expressed the pain and fear within. I thought, "Lord, help me help this person." Very recently I walked alone through the streets of a neighboring town, and again was overwhelmed at the need. My heart could hear the cries for help as I looked into the lonely faces of the people. I thought, "Lord, I need help! How can these needs be met?" Only a few months ago, I stood in a village on the Amazon River speaking with one who, seventeen months earlier had asked, "Will you come back to teach us the deeper things of the Bible?" I was there to keep my promise. I prayed, "Lord, I need help to reach more of these people." But there are thousands of little villages like that one who have never heard about Jesus. In every instance, it had to be the compassion of the Lord that I felt, for this cold human heart of mine does not have the ability to even care without the urging of His Spirit.

I've decided to take God at His Word. I will pray for workers... plenty of workers... workers who are more in love with the Lord than with their own lives... workers who have become "living sacrifices" to HIM and nothing else. I will pray for workers who have the compassion of Jesus, and not mere passion for their own comforts, ease and desires. I will pray for them... so that God will be glorified by answering my prayer. I will pray that they will be "prayers" who will approach the throne of God with the boldness, boldness that comes from their salvation in Jesus Christ, seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. I will pray that they will fill my church, and other churches, in number and with prayers, putting the scoffers of the Spirit of God to shame. I will pray that they will assist my fellow pastors in their labors, so that those who are in need for Him and His Word will be satisfied. I will pray that they will spend more time proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ then they do talking about what is wrong. And I will pray that God will begin with me, that He will move His Spirit upon MY heart that I will never be critical of my fellow worker, but join them and lead them to the kingdom's work. After all, it's my job to pray. It's God's job to send.

"Lord, You said that I should pray for workers. I take You at your Word. Here is my prayer to You. Send the laborers for the harvest. Amen."


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: